Thursday, November 20, 2008

Pet Peeve

Can I just say here how annoyed I am that Christmas has come earlier and earlier? It's in the stores - and has been - for quite some time! When I was girl, (yes, I know I sound old already), the Christmas rush did NOT start until after Thanksgiving!

Kids could THINK about it all year, but the trees and tinsel weren't in the stores until AFTER you were done taking your Thanksgiving nap.

Now that I'm older, I resent the huge build up to that one day. It is a stress to moms. Well at least this mom. I was on the phone to a friend who is already putting up her tree. And when I gave a snide comment about a house that was already bedecked in faux icicles, another friend replied, "Ohhhh, yes, I know the house, it always looks so beautiful." It's NOVEMBER! Aren't there people in Scandinavian countries who cut the tree the evening of December 24th, then huck it back out on December 26th?

Yes, I would love a magical Christmas for my kids, and I am totally in line with the joy of the season, but the season is now starting to bridge over two-to-three seasons! So, feel for my children. Mom is a Scrooge and will only allow 29 days of madness.

I know that there isn't much I can do about it, but gripe, but there you have it, that's why it's a pet peeve. And the worst thing about it?! Those cute holiday plates at the Smiths...

7 comments:

Danika said...

Amen to that! The radio stations started playing Christmas music last week down here! It's getting a bit obnoxious I think...

Sarah E. said...

We were in the mall yesterday and poor Santa just sat there for the 30 min we were eating until we finally finished and could go sit on his lap. Way too early! It's hard to make it special if it lasts 1/4 of the year. By the time Christmas actually gets here we're all sick of it. I need to email you. Are you in Utah? We will be in SLC for a Christmas, if you are up north, we should hook up for lunch.

Meredith said...

Well,while doing housework today, Caroline and I did turn off our usual 70's digital cable music station (The Carpenter's, Van Morrison, Carly Simon and the like) for the "Sounds of the Season" and got my favorite Neil Diamond classic, "I yai yai yai am dreaming of a White! Christmas! Ooo wah ooo..."

Oh, and my word verification is quite a cool word - I need to find a way to work it into conversation. "Spleards". I am not sure what it means. I will try to come up with something. Oh, I totally got one - "Don't you HATE how the Christmas stuff is out already at all the stores? They've got spleards and spleards of the stuff aeverywhere. It's like the North Pole threw up at Wal-Mart."

Anonymous said...

The stores actually had trees up in SEPTEMBER around here! SEPTEMBER! Then, by New Year's, they'll have swimsuits and shorts out. Insane. We always put our tree up the Sunday after Thanksgiving. However, I will be working the Sunday after Thanksgiving this year, so it's going up this weekend. It's selfish of me, yes, but I'd rather have it up a week early than miss out on it! I do love observing my kids during this time of year, but I worry that it won't be half as fun when they don't "believe" anymore, and I think Noah's already there.

Meredith said...

You got an award on my blog. Go check it out. Luv ya!

Reggs said...

Are you guys kidding me?? I LOVE CHRISTMAS!! I wish it was year round. I would like the tree up by July so that the wait is ALL that much more FUN!!
I hate when Christmas comes and goes like a theif in the night. Who's up for some wassail??

Faye said...

I totally agree with you! I refuse to do anything Christmas until after Thanksgiving.